Gavin's version of Henry MK-II
|Front-side view of Henry MK-II||Gavin's sculpted face for Henry|
|MK-II Henry is all smiles!||Another view of Henry|
Gavin's Henry MK-I
My original Henry MK 1 was my 1st kitbash ever from an old tooling of the Flying Scotsman. I took the 1st chunk out of the firebox and joined the cab back, that gave Henry a smaller firebox. The tender was a Hornby 'Gordon' with a 'Bullyed' Bullied tender top. (rubbish pun intended!) I painted it the relevant colours with a light grey running plate, which was about it. I was pleased at the time, but since my latest project, I felt that it needed to be updated to a quality more uniform to the rest, commence the Revision!
This being an old tooling wasn't going to be easy bringing it close to my current standard that came from the newer Hornby 'super detail' standard. I wanted Loco drive which would also enable me to fabricate a more accurate tender. None of Hornby's new A1/3 tooling chassis would fit because the cut-down firebox. Bachmann's chassis weren't suitable , so I opted for an old 40 year-ish old Hornby instead (or was it Triang?).
Obviously, the cylinders and valve gear were thick and chunky, same as before, so I ordered some newer tooling A1 ones. This is where, like Gordon MK II, things get...err, unique. The old valve gear and plastic bracket pulled out easily enough after undoing the rod screws and the one of the motor securing screws. I then cut the cylinders off the old ones and retained the bracket in between and cut the new cylinders off their bracket and glued them to the old bracket.
Because the chassis block is designed for more than one valve gear type there was an extra gap under the motor. Funnily enough, the new valve gear and metal bracket slid under there no problem, even the screw gap was in the correct place. Perfect! Or so I thought.
After fiddling and putting it together, it wouldn't run properly. Yet when the valve gear was undone it would. After a few hours of playing about and repeatedly disconnecting/connecting, thinking it was too tight or whatever, I FINALLY found out the source of the problem. It was shorting out. It took me another age to find out why but if you read what I have written above, you might see the answer contained.......................seen it yet?...........Yes?....Oh good!...............for the rest of you, I'll explain:
Originally, the valve gear bracket was made of plastic and went in a slot in the chassis. This new tooling valve gear that fit perfectly in the other slot was made out of metal!
So I had to pluck courage and snip the bracket off at the two ends closest to the moving rods and shape some plasti-kard as a replacement bracket, (not exactly amazingly strong) also making a hole in the centre for the motor screw to go in. This insulated the problem, and in testing ran fine, YAY!
The running plate needed to be dropped at the back and raised at the front (Gordon's was done the opposite way, you'll see the difference). The edge of the now lower splashers were made of plastikard scraps bashed to death with a mini drill sander after stogging them together with super glue, worked a treat (bit o' Miliput used also).
The valve gear bracket had to pop through the lower running plate unfortunately, no getting around it. But unlike Gordon there is less official info on Henry MK 1 so artistic license reigned. That is also the reason why part of the top of the valve gear bracket has been chopped. They look a bit like lubrication boxes, so that's fine with me. The running plate mod fits better this way, and officially what components did Henry have?...........I use my artistic license excuse once more with this model.
Rear view of Henry MK-I featuring the engine's tender
The front of the running plate was sanded to a smooth round drop and filled with glue that was shaped, as per Gordon MK II. An idea passed on to me by SiF member HBK, (Seanoc17 on MTF) was to use the logic that Sir Topham Hatt used the basic idea with Henry's smooth running plate, and thus adapted it to Gordon MK II's aesthetics, albeit a bit higher. I like that thought as it definitely matches up with RWS illustrations.
The firebox needed more adapting, so the triangular recesses were filled using plasti-kard and miliput, and the cab was sawn in half at the centre of the side windows, cut and sanded more and finally brought back together again. After painting, I saw that the firebox triangular bits showed up, even though it was smooth, so I had to shape some extremely thin plasti-kard and make mock covers. This took about three attempts because of uneven patches of glue and thus warping, and was a time consuming pain before I got it right.
The tender was a B12 one with 2 plasti-kard covers on the sides which changes the shape nicely to what was desired. :)
New handrails and cab rails are from 0.7mm brass wire and pillars though 0.45mm would have been better. The steps, cab doors and fall plate were pinched from a spare Black 5. Lamp irons, cylinder cock pipes and realistic front couplings were added next. The wheels, tyres and middle pin were changed too. I later moved the dome further back and smoothed the boiler with Miliput.
I think that about covers it. The green paint is dodgy, so in places the painting looks a bit messy. I couldn't use decal transfers because of the paint either, so free hand lining was used. It looks 'OK', but not as nice as Gordon MK II. I'll be making new faces too, he looks scary like the Joker! :( Anyway, enjoy!
Below: These 3 pics show my original attempts leading up to the recent revision of Henry MK I. Henry MK II is the Green Five.